FEATHERS AND IRON

Sunday, December 11, 2011

MY SAD STEELHEAD SEASON

Off to a late start. My job keeps me pinned down during September, so I wasn't able to wet lines on the first runs of salmon and trout as they pushed into the Lake Michagin tribs. There is one trib in particular that I have been to less than the Milwaukee river this year, and it is pretty much down the street from me. Pike Creek is a pretty interesting little body of water. There are sections that flow past the United States oldest operating velodrome at Washington Park, as well as through Petrifying Springs, and a golf course. The trib section that flows past the velo is partially covered in some sections as it weaves through the city. One of my favorites sections lies just below the golf course. The mouth, the picture on the right, usually has a long run parallel to the lake before cutting in to the shallows, and opening a path for spawning. One day, I headed down to find the first pool off the mouth still and looking like light chocolate milk. A walk down to the lakefront and I knew why it was so odd looking: the mouth was shut (see pic). The waves weren't pushing enough water up to re-open, so I packed it up and moved upstream. Stopped off at the rearing ponds (now empty) just for good measure.

These guys work with our DNR to assist with salmon (coho) rearing and stocking. I'd love to get in there one day with my sons and have the throw some purina fish-chow to young salmon. Just north if us in Racine is a weir, known as the Root River Steelhead Facility. Our TU chapter (www.sewtu.org) works in conjunction with the facility annually to educate and assist with some of the tasks around the facility's involvement in the DNR's stocking program. The Root is lined with folks once the runs start, some folks snag, but the good folks throw conventional of flies. Never had patience for snaggers, especially the ones who say "it was an accident. I was just drifting a spawnbag." Sure it was. Just like me cutting your line with scissors is an accident.

Milwaukee also has two really nice sets of water to fish. Jamie (getting bent and holding the fruit of his efforts) and I headed out to both this year, with Jamie putting me on some of his favorite spots. Unfortunately, the steelies were upriver, and most of the coho were tired and uninterested. Or at least that is my story.




















Here is one of Milwaukee's ditchbirds: an urban Wood Duck, just watching me walk the cement waterway in search of stragglers. This guy was walking the bank with me for a bit. Looked like he may have been winged (wouldn't surprise me based on the season), as he couldn't get air under him as I walked. He just hopped up a dirt pile and hoped I would leave. Which I did after snapping this photo. I had never seen a Wood duck before. Beautiful bird, amazing plumage.




Spawn 'til you die...
But the season is not over for me yet. I am going to head out again during the coming week. Not sure where to head, but I have a few spots lined up, and hopefully a couple familiar folks will be on the water too. I'll be doing a little homework and making a few calls to pinpoint an activity on the waters that flow through the great city of Milwaukee.



No comments:

Post a Comment