FEATHERS AND IRON

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

One Year
January marks one year I have been the Chair of our TU Membership Committee. To say I have lead it would be a stretch as the guys on the committee have been great leaders. Our TU group as a whole really stays plugged in with our DNR, our local shops, and other folks who work/play the local waters - and beyond! In the past 12 months, I have been able to get to know our chapter better as well. I have gone out numerous times to local tribs this past summer and fall, and have even been show a good spot or two. Few things make me happier than when something secret, or sacred, is shared. It shows trust, and demands it in return. Sure, it may not be a complete secret - yet I think anyone who chases steelhead in SE WI has a honeyhole that they call "theirs."
Last night, we had our Holiday Party Chapter meeting. We watched "Eastern Rises" and had a gift exchange (bring one, take one). I scored a sweet set of Rising curved 'ceps and two flies that are known producers at a place I have yet to land a fish. Looking forward to New Years to say the least. All in all, I have had a great two years in this TU Chapter, and feel completely honored to Chair the Membership committee. Looking forward to another great year!

One the fishing front, my obsession with Spey wings continues. I watched a really great youtube vid of Davie McPhail tying a nice salmon spey fly - truly glad he posted that as it helps me better understand the techniqes written down in John Shewey's book "Spey and Dee Flies." I am in the process of re-vamping my tying area with two simple homemade benches for storage/work of fly materials and gun cleaning. I've been able to get my sons involved with some of the prep and construction. Tonight I finished staining bench #1. This weekend, if I don't hit the local tributary, I'll finish up bench #2. It rained steadily today, and the temps have risen a bit - to around 50 degrees. A good buddy texted me today that the fish are in, and I should check locally for action.
All in good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment