FEATHERS AND IRON

Thursday, December 8, 2011

RIVER RAT

I have spent a good amount of my time on the water this year stalking rivers and tributaries. I have a hard time putting to words exactly what it is about a moving body of water that truly offers a sense of "home" to me. I live around a good number of tribs, and have invested more time in these waterways this year. There is something to be said about standing in a river's autumnal flow. The quietude churned out by rushing waters guides me into a moment like nothing else has been able to do in a very long time. Many anglers comment on a sense of the spiritual while on the water. If you find God on the water, it probably means the flows were too high and you should have stayed on shore. For me, it is just a heightened sense of connectedness with everything, external and internal. Like the river, all things in contact with it are one; they are part and parcel of it. The old washes down, the new is up ahead. The river is a great metaphor. If I can find that in a few short years, I say my life is good. Very good.


Heraclitus' thoughts on "Panta rhei" was on point, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment